WOW. This week. I feel like I am sliding to home, running on fumes. Oh wait. That is just that feeling of the year- like 2016 is spinning out from under me faster and faster. Yikes.
Some things that are taking up my bandwidth:
- I don’t mind Facebook ads when they are relevant. In fact, I probably click on more sponsored posts in my Facebook feed than anywhere else. BTW- if you are trying to figure out what the inputs into that algorithm are, they are as follows: anything fitness related, anything bags related, anything planner related, anything productivity related, anything blog related, and anything craft/maker related. That is how you get me to click on your post on Facebook.Anyhoo. I came across Stitch People in Facebook. I WANT IT. I WANT IT ALL. Seriously, how cute are they????
They are so cute I wanna die!!!
2. Am I the only person on the planet that is real annoyed with students in 2016? Seriously, it isn’t enough that they have access to the internet, chat, spell-check, and zotero, but now they have bullet journals and study-themed Tumblr?
What the dick, people?
I remember cheap vinyl binders with looseleaf paper. The nicest my notes ever looked was when I was in grad-school and I came across some cheap fountain pens. Before that tho: not pretty. Not pretty at all.
I am half-considering going back to school so that I can get in on the pretty study notes action. I appreciate how ridic this is for someone with a PhD. Even more so as I type it.
3. I was full-on 100% distracted today by Amazon Music Unlimited. I signed in to buy some stuff with some birfday money my mum sent me. Amazon showed me that they had Garth Brooks’ Ultimate Hits. Don’t mind if I do. If you have a Prime membership, you can get Music Unlimited for $7.99 a month- which is sweet. I already pay $10 a month for itunes- so the catalogue would have to be fire in order to get me to switch. Still looking around. But am very happy to be listening to old Garth Brooks. Honestly, you can take the girl out of the south, but you can’t take the south out of the girl.
For kids that grew up in the south in the 1990s- Garth Brooks was part of your childhood soundtrack. It was inevitable.
My top ten Garth Brooks tracks (of all time):
- Two Pina Coladas
- Calling Baton Rouge
- To make You Feel My Love
- That Summer
- Unanswered Prayers
- Standing Outside the Fire
- The Beaches of Cheyenne
- Friends in Low Places
- The Thunder Rolls
- The Dance
Game over. Seriously, when I hear of the zombie apocalypse starting, the very first thing I am going to do (obviously after securing the safety of my family) is get all of my music and e-book situation sorted out. Can you even imagine how awful it would be, to suddenly have nothing but time on your hands (because it is the zombie apocalypse and der- no work) and not have access to decent books? Or worse, to have to do all the chores associated with a zombie apocalypse without any music? AWFUL. JUST AWFUL. So much so that I’d say that when evaluating potential safe zones, access to a library and/or internet is a characteristic I am looking for.
I can sense you laughing at me. It’s okay.
4. I caught my reflection in the window of the laundry room last night and couldn’t help but check myself out. As always, my body is responding in its usual ways to my current strength cycle, which is to say, that my traps and shoulders are legit.
I like to imagine the conversation between my brain and my various muscle groups like this:
JBR Brain: Yo, guys!!! Muscles!! What’s up? Hey, just wanted to let you know that we’re up for that meet in Feb- so we’re going to be hitting that starting strength cycle pretty good. Hamstrings, you in?
Hamstrings: I got you fam!!!
JBR Brain: That is great to hear- I’m looking to add maybe 20 lbs to our deadlift numbers. We’re counting on you. What about quads and glutes? You guys down?
Quads and Glutes: We’re on this, B! Knees is a little janky, but you know us!! We about that life!!!
JBR Brain: I knew I could count on you guys! You’re wonderful. What about The Core? Core? Are you ready for this?
Core: Yeah, don’t sign us up for that!
JBR Brain: See, Core, that is disappointing. You know, if you just chipped in a little, it would make all of the rest of our-
Core: Like we said- bugger off.
JBR Brain: Well, that is insulting. You’re worthless core. Go. Go on- we’ll do this the hard way. Without you. Again. Thanks for being useless. What about Traps and Shoulders? What are your feelings on this?
Traps and Shoulders: YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!! WE GOING HAM, BITCHEZ!!!!!!!!!! LIFT ALL THE THINGS!!!! LOOK AT US!! SOMEONE GET US A BANDAID- CUZ WE ARE CUT!!!!
JBR Brain: Jesus, Traps and Shoulders… can you take it down a notch? I mean, it is about to be winter and its already difficult getting you into jackets and-
Traps and Shoulders: TOO LATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE’RE BRO’ED TO THE MAX BRO! LET’S LIFT, BITCHES!!!
JBR Brain: I am not your bro. Can you not?
Traps and Shoulders: TOO LATE- WE’RE AT THE MUSCLE PARTY!! AND WE GOT ZERO CHILL!!
5. I am with HER- buuuuuuuut I think we need to talk about a Jon Lester-David Ross campaign ticket. Honestly, the Cubs were ridiculous last night. Ridiculous. I cannot even with them.
It’s funny, because I think I am starting to get a hang of the personalities of the players- since we’ve watched them so much this season. For example, if I ever saw John Lackey in real life, I am going to pretend like I didn’t. His intensity on the mound makes me think that he would not have time for my nonsense. Javier Baez though? I bet I could get Javy to play a game of 4-square or Kick the Can in a parking lot. He is cheeky and fun- but that is part of this thing.
However, I don’t really ever worry when Lester and Ross are starting. I don’t want to say that I think it’s a done deal- but its reassuring when they’re up. Like, there aren’t going to be ridiculous mistakes here- when they are up, things are going to be okay. Lester and Ross are a great team. Both seem to have a really great understanding of each other’s weaknesses and complement each other well. For example- because he is a lefty, Lester can see when base runners are leading off far from first base. Do you know how much discipline it takes to be looking at a guy pretending he is going to steal and be like, “Nah- I got a game plan to execute.” I wanna throw these guys out at first and I can’t throw for shit. But, they have a game plan and it does not include Lester throwing out guys at first. He can do that, because he has Ross- who routinely throws out guys trying to steal bases.
I love the elegance of that. But I also love that THEY’RE ALL BUSINESS. I think that is what America needs right now. Just a couple of guys who are going to do their absolute best and not make stupid mistakes. And, I think that is all we can ask for. Lester and Ross in the White House would Make America Great Again, most definitely.